Blue Dragon Publishing, LLC is a proud V3 employer.
We are a small, woman-owned, veteran-owned hybrid publisher located in Williamsburg, Virginia.
We are currently accepting applications for the a Publicity and Marketing Director.
This position is very flexible for a creative mind to build a position based on their own ideas for book marketing.
Job Title: Publicity and Marketing Director
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia
This person will have a lot of responsibility for a small business, which means a lot of freedom to shape the position. Looking for someone who is self-motivated and interested in learning new things.
Primary purpose and function of position
The Publicity and Marketing Director will develop story ideas, cultivate reporter relationships in key markets, coordinate book signing appearances, create and implement the public relations plan to garner positive news coverage for Blue Dragon Publishing, LLC (BDP) and its authors. Copywriting duties to include, but not limited to, press releases, cutlines, press kit materials, pitch sheets and news channel social content to publicize campaigns. In addition, this role will maintain news coverage reports and develop publicity analysis tools to assess the effectiveness of campaigns. Serve as a media liaison for proactive media encounters to develop market-specific coverage plans. Create social media content to attract a following for BDP. Mentor new authors on social media platforms and marketing ideas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate positive publicity for BDP and its authors (Create written and visual materials, coordinate with stakeholders, pitch news media with relevant stories, foster strong media relationships in key markets, host media book events, manage news Twitter feed, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Manage and develop blogger program to generate positive coverage of the BDP and authors by influential bloggers.
- Develop, monitor and analyze coverage reports to be able to suggest strategy changes for publicity and marketing coverage plans.
Qualifications for Position
- Outstanding written, verbal and visual communications skills. Ability to convey messages clearly and persuasively.
- Understanding of the news media, including traditional and non-traditional platforms.
- Strong organizational skills. Able to manage multiple projects on varying timelines.
- Commitment to collaboration and working effectively as part of team.
- Good professional judgment, especially in dealing with news media on behalf of BDP. Poise in difficult situations.
Education and Special Skills
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in public relations, journalism, marketing or related subject.
- 1-2 years’ experience in public relations or news environment
- Working knowledge of various social media platforms
- Experience with InDesign software desired
This position will supervise 1-2 part time contractors
- Will report to president of Blue Dragon Publishing, LLC. Will work with other members of staff in areas of their expertise.
This position is considered OFFICE which is characterized as follows.
- Primarily indoors during the day
- Long time sitting or standing by a computer monitor
- Occasional interaction with large groups of people at book events or networking events
- Occasional need to stand for long periods of time with few breaks (up to 4 hours)
- Work surface is stable